Friday, April 27, 2012

Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog. My name is Tracy. I am a long time owner of my own clothing design business:
http://www.azacclothingcouture.com , somewhat of a gothic girl, and also a long time (ever since I was a small child) lover of historical clothing.

This blog might mention my clothing business some, but it's point is not to promote it. This blog is more of a chronicle of my sewing adventures, and my attempt to live a modern life inspired by the history and fantasy that I love most.

Let me preface this entire blog by saying that while I AM trained in historical sewing I do not spend all my time only making exact historical reproductions. Yes I DO make those, and you WILL read about them here, but that's not ALL you will hear about here. So if you are an absolute stickler who is insulted by modern versions of older things, or a tweak here and there on a costume to make it more wearable (yes I come from the theater arts school of costuming, aka what it looks like on the inside isn't always a big deal) then I'd say this isn't the blog for you. However if you appreciate both old techniques, new ideas and innovations, and things that can move into the realm of fantasy couture then you will probably like what I have to write about.

A bit about me to start:

Here is a recent pic of me being a ham in one of my creations I sell on my website, yes I am a little bit of a oddball:



I am in my mid 30's. I started studying costume when I was about 5 years old. I was always fascinated by it. I am trained in costume design, fashion design, and custom pattern drafting. My specialty is corsetry and corsted fit. I have always had a knack for looking at a piece of historical clothing and being able to piece it together in my head. I LOVE challenging myself. I believe also that there is ALWAYS more to learn and ALWAYS someone who knows more than you. My work is not perfect, and never will be, but I am ALWAYS reaching towards more knowledge in my fields.

I have been running a fantasy/historical/gothic inspired formal wear business for a little over 16 years now.
Wow, I feel old! It's been a great ride, but sometimes, as some of you will know, your job can wear you down! So I have decided to start focusing more on honing my craft and doing the things I love, like making historical costumes for my own personal collections and learning more sewing and design techniques. One day I'd love to have a large collection of costumes in which I could make available for rent/loan, Right now, though let's just concentrate on keeping my sanity.

Well that's enough of a intro, if you stick around, you will surely get to know more about me, and I hope you'll share your historical and fantasy inspired sewing adventures with me as well!



1 comment:

  1. Yay! I love sewing blogs. (I also subscribe to the sewing mantra "If you can't see it, who cares?" The Victorians did too!)

    ReplyDelete